Visiting the grocery store is something most of us do at least once per week. We probably never consider incurring an injury while shopping for our milk and bread! However, grocery store slip and fall accidents occur nearly every single day. This type of slip and fall in a grocery store can be caused by a variety of circumstances. Consider the following possibilities:
- An employee mopped the floor but did not have a warning sign in place, so you slipped and fell due to the wet floor.
- Your shopping cart was damaged and caused you to fall.
- You reached for a product and the shelf fell over, knocking you to the ground.
- The sidewalk to the entrance was cracked and uneven, and you tripped and fell.
- Food products fell off the shelf, creating a dangerous condition, and you slipped and fell.
- Another customer spilled a liquid, creating a puddle which caused you to slip and fall.
- A product was in defective packaging, causing it to leak onto the floor, which made you slip and fall.
When someone slips and falls in a grocery store, for the most part, they may be able to stand up and simply continue shopping. On the other hand, some people do sustain serious injuries. These injuries can include:
- Broken or Fractured Bones
- Internal Bleeding
- Head Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Shoulder Injuries
- Hand and Arm Injuries
- Spinal Injuries
WHAT DO TO AFTER YOU FALL.
It is important to understand what you need to do should you ever slip and fall in a grocery store.
Immediately after falling, the most important thing you can do is speak to the store manager. If there are people nearby, ask that they get a manager. You need to ensure the store manager sees that you fell and that the incident is documented by the store.
Other steps to follow are:
- Take pictures of the area where you fell, especially if you can clearly identify the cause, such as water or other materials on the floor.
- Get the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw you slip and fall.
- Seek medical attention for any potential injuries. Even if you think you are fine, it is highly recommended that you get checked out by a doctor to verify you do not have any fractures, internal bleeding, or other serious injuries.
- Make sure an accident and/or injury report is filed with the grocery store. You can do this immediately if you are not seriously injured or after receiving medical care. Ask for a copy once it is completed.
- Contact a slip and fall attorney to find out if you are entitled to receive any compensation. Beyond medical bills, you may qualify for other monetary compensation, depending on the extent of your injuries, the length of your recovery and if you missed time from work.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU FALL OUTSIDE OF THE STORE
Not all slips and falls occur inside a grocery store. In fact, my slip and fall accidents occur in the parking lot of a grocery store. If you fall outside of a grocery store, you still need to report the accident when you slip and fall outside a store. Follow the same process and steps as you would if you fell inside the grocery store. However, be aware that the grocery store may not necessarily be liable for your injuries.
Based on where you fell outside the store, someone else may be the responsible party. It will depend on who is responsible for maintaining the area where you fell. For example, you slipped and fell in the parking lot. If the grocery store is not responsible for maintaining the parking lot, they may not be liable for any injuries you sustain.
This type of situation can be common, especially when the grocery store is in a strip mall and the property is owned by someone else. The property owner or management company would be the liable party if they are responsible for maintaining the parking lot. As such, it is very important to retain a slip and fall lawyer we can help determine the responsible party.
CAN A SUIT BE FILED FOR SLIPPING AND FALLING IN A GROCERY STORE
Yes, a suit can be filed against a grocery store or another responsible party if you slip and fall. However, whether you have a grocery store slip and fall case depends on several factors, including premises liability and negligence. Premises liability is a legal term that refers to a property owner’s responsibility to ensure their property and guests are safe from potential hazards, accidents, and injuries.
Next, your personal injury attorney must establish that the grocery store was negligent. In other words, you need to prove the grocery store was aware of the situation, or should have been aware of the situation, and failed to resolve the issue to prevent people from being injured.
When you slip and fall at a store, you may be entitled to a slip and fall grocery store settlement based on the extent of your injuries. You might sue for compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and loss of current and future income.
If you were involved in a slip and fall accident, an experienced lawyer might be able to help. Call Ed at Mazzaferro Law today at (401) 335-0078 or complete our contact form for a free consultation.